Whenever I see Roderick, I think that’s what Wes’s hair looks like in the morning without all that product in it.
Things that upset me because I will never see them happen on Common Law:
- An undercover episode
- Alex getting in a steady relationship and Wes being okay with it
- More of Travis’s issues from being in the foster system
- What happened with Anthony Padua?
- An episode dealing with Wes’s OCD (like a case hits too close to home and he gets more and more OCD and Travis is like WTF man but he tries to help anyway)
- The boys actually making more progress in therapy (cuz let’s face it there wasn’t a lot of progress going on since they were mostly bullshitting their way through their sessions)
- Wes’s backstory
- Meeting Wes’s parents and then Travis is like ‘oh, THAT’S why you’re like that’ because that would be funny and illuminating
- A Christmas episode where Travis is really into it and Wes is all Grinchy and Travis makes Grinch jokes
- An episode where one of them is missing and the other kind of goes off the reservation trying to find them (and Dr. Ryan being there to calm them down and keep them from going completely AWOL)
- Travis being in a steady relationship even for just a little bit and he’s not the one who breaks it off, she is because she’s tired of how much he works and it has nothing to do with Travis’s commitment issues
- A copycat Caller with subsequent flashbacks to the original Gentleman Caller case
- EITHER: a flashback episode so we can see the boys in uniform OR a picture of the boys in uniform (I just want to see them in their police uniforms)
- A prank war between the two of them that only ends when Sutton gets accidentally pranked
- A case involving one of the couples from therapy because I think that would be cool and they would become real actualized characters and that would be awesome
- Them doing something cheesy like having movie night for homework but in the end they actually enjoy it a lot even if they’d never admit it
- Wes getting his own place and having his own yard to obsess over
- Wes slowly stepping into the dating pool on his own without being pushed too hard and not talking about his ex-wife the entire time and really truly moving on
- More Jonelle
- More Kendall
- More Jonelle (she’s just that awesome)
- A lockdown at the police station
- Another serial killer and someone making a comment about police procedurals (“once you have one serial killer the rest come out of the woodwork. that’s how it works on TV” “this is not a TV show!”)
- Something involving one of Travis’s homes that wasn’t so good and loving because statistically they couldn’t all be
- A case involving the boys going to another jurisdiction and having to deal with the crap involved with that and Wes making more friends the way he does
- One of them goes on vacation BUT WAIT! there’s a murder! because cops can’t go on vacation without there being murders that’s silly
- Dr. Ryan helping Wes deal with his guilt from Anthony
The boys confessing their gay love for each other
WE COULD HAVE HAD IT AAAAAAAAAAAAALL~
I’m going to add to on thing to your list because I it was one my many needs for the show:
- A case were one of them is framed for a series of crimes, and the other not believing what the evidence is saying and tracks down the real criminal. Also interrogation room feels where one is handcuffed there and the other being like “I’m going to prove your innocence.”
Ooh, that’s a good one. Yes, feel free to add to the list anything you want!
- A scene where Travis defends Wes the way Wes defended Travis from Morgan. (I know you wrote a fic like that, Mizu, but it would have been so much awesomer in canon)
(I would have loved in the canon too. I would love for Travis to tear someone apart and the room is dead silent because of it, and Wes rounds the corner and is confused by the tension)
- A case with a child witness or troubled teen who bonds more with Wes than Travis
- flashbacks of Alex and Wes’ marriage
- Wes’ lawyer years
- One of them being hurt or sick and the other taking care of them like a slightly mother hen sort of way.
- A season finale with a plot twists that leaves us all staring at our TVs crying and gaping for like an hour
(Oh my god, Wes and children. He would be so awkward but he’d do his best. I can’t.)
I cry and my tears are Common Law:
- The next time Paekman’s birthday rolls around they go drinking and reminisce about their friend
- Dr. Ryan introducing calming techniques like “Count to ten when you’re angry” and they both scoff but the next time they’re fighting one of them actually does it and the other is just like “Seriously?”
- They get called in on their day off and Wes is in casual clothes
- A two-part episode full of feels and plot twists
- One of them is in the hospital for case-related reasons and the other has to juggle getting the bad guy and being there for his partner
(I have a mighty need for Wes in casual clothing and a two part episode would kill me.)
-sobbing in a corner-:
- A hangover episode where they both wake up in a bed half cuddling each other with no memory of what happened the night before, and they have to figure it out.
FUCK YOU GUYS
- meeting wes’ parents
- kate and amy joining wes and travis’ therapy group because they’ve been having problems lately and sutton just fuckin’ sends everybody to therapy now, it’s a problem
- what the hell is happening with sutton’s wife
- travis gets hurt and wes teams up with jonelle to solve the case while he’s in the hospital recovering
- meeting wes’ parents
- one of them gets kidnapped by a bad guy and the other is running around all frantic trying to find them but the kidnapped one ends up saving himself and showing up at the station all nonchalant like, “jeez, what?”
- a “bad blood” episode where wes and travis are sitting in sutton’s office trying to explain something crazy that happened to them on a case and we get to see the story from both of their perspectives THINK OF IT THINK OF HOW GREAT IT’D BE
- MEETING WES’ PARENTS
- alex helps them out on a case!!!
- FLASHBACK EPISODE WHERE WE GET TO SEE WHAT TRAVIS AND WES’ FRIENDSHIP WAS LIKE WHEN ALEX AND WES WERE MARRIED
- EPISODE WHERE THEY USE THE THERAPY GROUP TO HELP THEM ON A CASE, LIKE THEY ALL GO UNDERCOVER AT A COUPLES’ RETREAT OR SOMETHING
- DID I MENTION MEETING WES’ PARENTS
Damn you, people!
- An episode where they’re at court, testifying for a case they’ve solved, but they’re in the middle of another spat, and the DA is left scrambling and trying to fix it so that they don’t blow his case, dammit,
- The two of them getting into a huge interdepartmental pissing match/prank war, because of a perceived slight by someone in, idk, Traffic or Internal Affairs,
- they’re investigating a crime at a film set, and it’s one of those terrible(ly awesome) Roger Croman-style movies, like, say, Mermantula vs. Gigantazoid, and Travis gets way too much into it,
- there’s a journalist writing an article about unconventional management techniques in police departments, and somehow they’ve found out about the couples therapy and think they’ve hit the ‘so crazy it works’ jackpot.
Hahaha, Mizu we’ve started something wonderful!
- The classic bank robbery episode with one of them on the inside and one of them on the outside trying to get in.
- An episode where they have to do something bad to stop something even worse from happening (like the convenience store robbery in the pilot but bigger and better and Wes is there too)
- A ‘break’ episode where there’s no case, it’s just the two guys doing paperwork and going about their everyday lives and dealing with crap and all sorts of good stuff
- They’re the best detectives in the department so for a day a news person and a cameraman rides along with them and Sutton is all “Please don’t fight today boys they’re immortalizing you on TV” and Wes and Travis really do try but in the end they go back to their bickering ways. But they still solve the case and the news anchor person ends up saying something like “It just goes to show, sometimes the best relationship you have aren’t always the ones where you get along all the time”.
- A baby episode where they have to take care of a victim’s baby or something and Travis is like “yeah I can do this” and Wes is freaking the fuck out
- Travis showing off his Spanish skills and Wes is surprised and impressed
- Wes playing the piano and Travis is surprised and impressed
OMG We did! We’ve created a beautiful monster of Common Law:
I come bringing more:
- An episode where a documentary/reality TV show crew (an Office style episode…) follow them around. Wes doesn’t want any part of it and is annoyed and cold to the cameras,Travis soaks it up, and everyone else is kind of awkward and working for “screen time” (Confessionals could be cool too)
- A Christmas episode where Travis wishes he never meet Wes and has a “look into” that world. Everyone’s life pretty much sucks.
- Travis and Wes get stranded somewhere with no phones, gun, or badges, and have to solve a crime/survive everything while being hunted by criminals
- More Hudson adorableness
A beautiful monster we use to make ourselves cry.
I wrote a bunch on a sticky note and then lost it until tonight, so:
- A concussion episode where one person loses memory/time and they have to retrace his steps to figure out what happened and whodunnit.
- An Apocalypse Moon episode where they have to infiltrate the MMORPG for Reasons, and Kendall and Travis are total pros and cruising right through, and Wes makes a character and just sort of fumbles along (and Travis laughs at him but also gives him a few helpful hints along the way).
- Some sort of bioweapon scare and one of them gets infected (or they think he’s infected) and they have to race to find a cure.
- Hudson. All the Hudson. GIVE ME MORE OF THE BOYS WITH HUDSON.
- A Halloween episode with Travis trying to scare Wes and it doesn’t work, but then Wes gets back at Travis in a truly awesome manner.
- Something from Wes’s lawyer days. Yisss.
- LOST IN THE WOODS EPISODE IS ON MY LIST MIZU IT IS LIKE WE ARE THINKING THE SAME THING.
- Episode with speed-dating and both boys join but surprise surprise Wes is the one who walks out with a date, and the woman is a potential killer and they go on a few dates and on the third one she tries to kill Wes and then Travis comes in to save him and is like, “Ha, I knew you didn’t have that much game.”
- Couple’s retreat episode with all the therapy group there and Wes and Travis have to really act like a gay couple with all the PDA that goes with it so of course they make it a competition to out-awkward each other but in the end they solve the case
- They have to team up with another agency/precinct/whatever and there’s a pair there that are just like them —one easy-going and chill, the other uptight and anal, and they’re always bickering (bonus points if the other pair is both female). And the similarities are obvious and everyone mentions it and even Travis and Wes notice and they’re like “Do we sound like that when we argue?” and everyone is like “YES!”
- Travis and Wes hanging out (maybe for therapy or something) and just playing poker and drinking beer and being chill and reminiscing about doing this with Paekman and remember when…? AND THEN FLASHBACKS TO WHEN THEY WERE GOOD TOGETHER AND IT WILL HURT IN ALL THE BEST WAYS.
Oh look. I made myself cry.
I have cross stitched so much lately to try and finish these little christmas ornaments i have actually PUNCHED A HOLE IN MY SKIN WITH THE BLUNT END OF THE NEEDLE.
Ah, the joys of my craft.